Thursday, October 18, 2012

Settling In

It’s hard to believe another week is nearing an end already!  This last Monday, the 15th, marked my 1 month anniversary on the island.  It has been a really fun adventure so far.  When people ask me how I'm doing and how things are going, I stop and I think about it, and I honestly have nothing to complain about.  Life is good!  I'm meeting new and interesting people every day, I'm diving 3 times a week (wish it were more!), I'm touring the island and resorts, improving my photgraphy skills, eating new food and every time I stop and look around at this island's beauty, it makes me smile. 

I certainly feel settled, looking around my apartment, it’s in a mild state of disarray, and I still know where almost everything is.  There is not a lot of storage here, no dresser, cabinet or linen closet, so storage is a bit tricky.  My bedroom has 4 very spacious shelves that I am slowly sorting out.  

There is a Facebook group on the island, called ‘Roatan Garage Sale’, where people buy and sell things that they think others may use.  We also trade advice from time to time, which is actually how I was able to get my cell phone from home working here on the island.  I will be keeping an eye on that for possibly a dresser at some point.

Something you also have to consider is that people often relocate residences, and you have to be careful that you have the means to move everything you buy or own!  I’m not too concerned about this factor yet, I am enjoying where I live.  I love my neighbors, the central location of the place, and the apartment really isn’t bad either.  I only have a hot plate to cook on, but I think I can manage just fine.  I’ve become friends with the new owners, Joe and Wendy, of the bar near my house, and I would imagine that if I really wanted to bake, they would let me.

I’ve started a list of things I will bring back with me from home, when I visit in December.  So if you’re reading this, and you have any of the items I’m in need of, give me a heads up!  I am certainly appreciating the little things right now!  George Foreman Grill, Good Kitchen Knives, Silverware, Curtains, messenger type bag, sling /hobo type purse/bag. 

1 comment:

  1. What about the knives we gave you? There's nothing worse than a dull knife when you're trying to cut in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete